#30 - 1955 202 - Even a blind squirrel...

Vital Stats

Model: 202
Date: May 1955
Technology: Instant Light
Mantles: 1
Fuel: Gasoline
Date Acquired: November 10, 2018 

The further I descend into this collector madness, the more I become fixated on a particular model.  For the longest time, that model was the 202.
Basically a model 200A at its heart, it features almost no steel with a claim of being (virtually) rust proof.  Marketed as "The Professional" by Coleman it debuted in 1954 and featured a nickel plated brass fount and collar, and stainless steel burner cage and bail.  All of which are steel on the 200A and, of course, subject to rust.

Just the relative scarcity and upgraded features make it highly desirable in the Coleman collector community with values reflecting.  I don't think any collector would call it rare, but they are definitely hard to get your hands on (and can cost a fortune when you do).  
Up until I got my first one I had never even seen one in the wild.  That I found this one was almost an accident.  I was perusing online estate auctions when I came across this jumble of parts.




It was not listed as a 202, but it clearly was one.  I noted that the valve was installed upside down in the fount and it was missing its globe, but that's not uncommon for single mantle lanterns, or any old Coleman for that matter. The initial bid was $2 and I bumped it up to $3.  Several days later when the auction closed it was still mine at $3.  I was incredulous and ecstatic.  
I don't know how/why this was missed by other collectors.  It should have gone for at least $30 at the time, and today would easily fetch $50.  $3 was unheard of.

I was unable to verify the completeness from just the one picture, but I knew it had "enough".  When I finally received it I was thrilled to find it complete except for the globe.  I had an amber globe sitting on the shelf which looked oh-so-nice on it.  I kept it with that globe until I got a period correct one not too long ago.



These lanterns are really only known to have one flaw.  On the earlier ones the "uprights" on the stainless steel burner cage/frame are known to spontaneously fracture.  Mercifully mine is still fully in tact.  Because of that I run this one sparingly , as it is suspected to be  heat related issue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#9 - 1973 228H Gold Bond - Gold fever

#4 - 1986 288A - Stepping up my game