#2 - 1999 Peak1 229 - A gearhead's folly

Vital Stats
Model: 229
Date: August 1999
Technology: Adjustable (Schrader valve)
Fuel: Gasoline/Dual Fuel
Date Acquired: 1999-2000
Paid: Bought new.


Long before I became a collector, I was a camper.  And a gear head.  Gear heads weigh themselves down unnecessarily with useless gadgets just because they think it's cool.
So at some point around 1999 when I was into backpacking I thought: "I'm backpacking, I need a backpacking lantern".  I probably saw this on campmor.com and bought it, thinking it would solve my lighting issue around a campfire (???), and also a 442 stove (which is nice, but this isn't a stove blog (yet)).

I think I actually took it backpacking maybe once.  Cramming a gas pressure appliance with a glass globe into an already tightly packed and heavy backpack, I quickly realized, was not a great idea.  Sure, it did it's job, but a flashlight or a headlamp (which I also packed) did the job just fine, as did the camp fire.

In later years it got relegated to bathroom/shower duty in the non-electric fishing cabins we rented on the Cape Lookout National Seashore.  They are fun little pieces and seem to hold the fascination of many collectors as their values have continued to rise.  This remains the only lantern I have bought new, from a store (excluding propane lanterns).
Pictured with a replacement globe I found on an identical model (and sold).  Original globe was plain.
The lantern: Model 229 Peak 1 Dual Fuel.  Date stamped August 1999.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#9 - 1973 228H Gold Bond - Gold fever

#30 - 1955 202 - Even a blind squirrel...

#31 - 1965 Sears 416-7020 - Red Ted