#6 - 1959 220E - Start building shelves

Vital Stats
Model: 220E
Date: March 1959
Technology: Instant-Lite
Mantles: 2
Fuel: Gasoline
Date Acquired: June 19, 2016


What really drew me into this hobby is the progression of the models over time and the discovery of the history.  So when my friend sent me this picture of a lantern he found for me at his local flea market, the similarities to my 220F were obvious, but it was the differences that drew me in:
The first difference that catches the eye on this one is the ventilator on top.  It is much higher and has several rows of small, pencil sized holes vs. the five large rectangular holes of the models that follow.  A quick search of the usual online resources did not help; Coleman used this style of vent since the early 1930's, and even in limited capacities was used on some models long after that (Sears models, military models)!

He was able to locate a year on it, 1959, which quickly identified it as a 220E, and after he got it home the model number stamped on it confirmed it.  Despite the fact that I have referred to the 220F/228F as one of the most common models that collectors run across, the 220E and 228E were a longer run (1951 - 1963), and is tied with the 220B as the longest run of the series.

The 220E is also one of the most durable of the series.  I accidentally dropped one from a height of 7', onto a plywood floor in my shed, and it suffered no damage.  It was the first 220 to feature a painted steel fount for the entirety of its production run.  The risk of rusting was increased, but so also was strength and it saved weight.  Coleman also put a red decal on the fount for the first time; a practice that would continue until the early 1980's, as well as a red logo on the globe that showed up towards the end of the run.

Over the years I have found similar numbers of E's for sale as the F's, but the classic, timeless look coupled with unbeatable performance and durability make this one preferred.  But really it opened the door to what was to come of my discovery of the 220 series and its siblings.  As other, more experienced collectors will tell you, once the bug has bitten you in this manner it is time to start building shelves,  because you can't stop buying them.

Since restoring this one I have "tricked it out" with a number of accessories and refer to it as my "Expedition Lantern" (cause why not?).  It features a yellow globe, parts safe, handled reflector, and spark ignition.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#9 - 1973 228H Gold Bond - Gold fever

#30 - 1955 202 - Even a blind squirrel...

#4 - 1986 288A - Stepping up my game