#26 - 1981 200A - Greenie

 Vital Stats

Model: 200a
Date: July 1981
Technology: Instant-light
Mantles: 1
Fuel: Gasoline
Date Acquired: October 16, 2017  

Before I get into the specifics of this piece, kicking off the 2nd half of this list, I reflect on what inspired me to do this blog in the first place.  Mostly it was to catalog my collection, but I was also going through an exercise of lighting each of my lanterns to evaluate them for function.  Each of my lanterns get fettled before they go on the shelf, but one of the downsides of reconditioning original or donor parts is that they are subject to a more rapid deterioration than a new part.  For example, I took down this 200a and lit it, only to find that it has a leaky check valve.  Something I don't want to discover while on a camping trip.  After a few posts doing exactly this, and with a target of a post each day, this quickly became unattainable.  I chose to keep the 1-a-day target at the expense of actually testing the lantern.  Obviously I have fallen off the scheudle, so I am going to at least go back and set a target to light, and repair if needed, each lantern.  Now, onto the green 200A.



 In June of 1980, Coleman changed the paint on the 200A from the iconic red to green.  You can find June 1980 dated pieces in both green and red. For less than 3 years Coleman sold the green 200a, so relative to its red counterpart, it is much harder to find and  therefore highly desirable amongst collectors.  The green 200A also closed out the 200 line, and would not be revisited again until 1995 with the 200B; back in red.

Most collectors strive to complete the color lineup of the 200A: red, burgundy, Gold Bond, and green.  I have 3 of the 4 (no Gold Bond, yet). 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#9 - 1973 228H Gold Bond - Gold fever

#30 - 1955 202 - Even a blind squirrel...

#31 - 1965 Sears 416-7020 - Red Ted