#31 - 1965 Sears 416-7020 - Red Ted

Vital Stats

Model: 416-7020 (Sears) 
Date: November 1965 (presumably)
Technology: Instant Light
Mantles: 2
Fuel: Gasoline
Date Acquired: May 12, 2019

Every collector has their idea of what is their "holy grail" piece.  For most it is the Arc or the "Poultry lantern", but in most collector's top 10 you will find the "Red Ted". 

So named because of its distinctive large red ventilator, and that it was produced for Sears' Ted Williams line of sporting goods in 1965 and 1967.  Production was limited to November only in those two years, so numbers are low.  Like the 202 it is the only other lantern that Coleman manufactured with a stainless steel burner cage and bail, sitting atop of a nickel plated brass fount.  This "premium" lantern is both attractive, well built, and relatively hard to find making it highly desirable to any lantern collector (except maybe the most die hard Yankees fan).

This was one I did not think I would be fortunate enough to add to my collection, but luck shone upon me.  I found it on Facebook Marketplace in a town not ver near where I live, but where I have a number of friends and family. My network came through for me.  I try not to involve others in my obsession unless the piece is truly special. This lantern was acquired by the sister of my best friend, and when she called me up for details on this pick-up she asked me: "What is it? Drugs?". To which I replied; "If it were only that simple".

Interestingly this lantern is missing the date stamp, which is usually found on the right side of collar on the Red Ted (another distinction). However, this piece had a factory misprint on that side of the collar resulting in a duplicate but upside-down stamp of the left side information (and no date).  Given that the model number for the 11/65 produced lanterns is 416-7020 and the 11/67 are 416-70200, I can confidently date mine to 11/65.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#9 - 1973 228H Gold Bond - Gold fever

#30 - 1955 202 - Even a blind squirrel...